An aerial tramway, sky tram, cable car, ropeway or aerial tram is a type of aerial lift which uses one or two stationary ropes for support while a third moving rope provides propulsion.
We know that rope ways are needed for crossing over large spans of land or huge masses of water. The design and construction of such ropeways is a necessity. In this event one has to design and make a model of a ropeway. It tests your technical skills and application of them in practical life. Here what you need to know is simple laws of mechanics. Cable car or tram system is one of the examples for this type of rope way systems. Come and show your skills in designing the structure using simple things.
ROUND 1: It’s an aptitude test which assesses your passion towards civil engineering and general idea of simple mechanics and working of aerial tramways. Qualified people will make their way to second round.
ROUND 2: In the second round two vertical structures with different heights have to be designed, analysed and constructed within four hours. Necessary materials will be provided.
Each model is then tested according to judging criteria.
Popsicle sticks(ice cream sticks),fevicol,threads,cutters,pencils,nails,nylon rope,scale(30 cm),hook,weighing machine,loads.
Use of other materials is not allowed.
- The structure should be constructed with Popsicle (ice cream) sticks.
- The structure may be truss structure, hallow columns etc. depending on participants innovativeness.
- The minimum height of the smaller tower should be 30cms.
- The maximum height of the larger tower should be 80cms.
- The ratio between the heights of the structure to the length of base should not be more than 1.
- Width of the structure should not be more than 12 cm.
- The structure should sustain stress by moving load.
- Load should move between higher to lower tower.
- The hook and load assembly should be able to slide on the string which is supported by the two structures.
- Only one participant is allowed to perform the loading (teammates can also assist him).
- Holding the load carrier during loading is not allowed.
- Anchoring should be done to bases for stabilizing; distance between them should not be more than twice that of horizontal distance between towers
- The structure should support moving load without any external support.
- Failure of a single member is considered as failure of whole structure.
- Weight should move from one end to another.
- The structure should be strong enough to support a moving load without sway or deformation.
Judgment is decided with least slope of rope, high load carrying capacity, less self weight
· Q1 is any pre registration is required?
Ans if possible , do the registration , although onspot registration can be done
· Q2 do we have prepare the model/bridge before hand itself?
Ans no, u have to prepare the model on spot.
· Q3 will the material like popsicle sticks, fevicol & other stationary will be provided?
Ans yes, materials will be provided to you on spot
· Q4 what kind of questions will be asked in screening round?
Ans it will be related to basic engineering mechanics & truss design