Ever wondered about the enormous energy hidden in the molecules of the chemical
Ever tried to estimate the massive energy produced by combining two simple things
you encounter in day to day life, say Coke and Mentos?
Then gear up to explore the world of chemical reactions during Technozion 18.
All you have to do is to construct a car which harnesses the energy of chemical
reactions and leave others awestruck.
Participants are supposed to make a car which utilizes the energy of a chemical reaction to run. The car should be driven by the participant on a straight track of fixed distance which contains an obstacle in the form of a bridge (inclination<10 degrees).
Length of the track will be mentioned after the selection of abstract. In addition to this, it has to hold a payload of 300-500 ml water. The size of designed cars cannot exceed certain specifications and cars must operate using "green" methods, i.e., there can be emissions in the form of a visible liquid or gas, such as exhaust, but they should not pollute the surroundings.
ROUNDS INVOLVED: The event consists of two rounds:
The participants have to give a brief description of working of the model beforehand (before the day of event).
It should be in the form of an abstract (phrased in a maximum of 1000 words).
Abstract should include the following details about the model:
1. Chemical reaction involved in propelling the car.
2. Specifications of the economics involved in the preparation of the car.
3. Method of propulsion (explained in detail)
4. Chemicals used should be mentioned properly.
5. Explain how the car runs (power source)
6. Some of its specific features (i.e. how environment friendly it is).
The participant can also give a 3D model (DCAD/AutoCAD) of the car along with the abstract (not compulsory).
Final round on event day (all the participants who submitted abstract are allowed to appear for the second round):
The car should be driven by the participant, carrying a load containing (300-500ml) water on a straight track of fixed
distance which contains obstacles in the form of a bridges (with inclination<10 degrees).
The winners of the competition will be decided based on the abstract, model presented on the event day and its performance.
- Addition of chemicals during a trip is not permitted. All in all, the participants will not be allowed to meddle with the vehicle in the middle of a trip. Participants can call for a reset with deduction of points, only one reset is allowed with 10% deduction of points.
- The vehicle will not be allowed to be controlled with the help of a remote .The source is to be a CHEMICAL REACTION solely.
- The stopping mechanism has to be chemically controlled and no matter how long the car can move, it has to stop at the end of the desired track.
- No commercial batteries can power the car directly. The construction of the car should be as compact as possible (Dimensions of the car must not exceed 40 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm i.e. box-sized).
- It must be environment friendly and economic.
- The reaction should not be explosive.
- Students from any department can participate.
- The only energy source for the propulsion of the car is a chemical reaction. No liquid discharge is allowed .no obnoxious order discharge is allowed.
INITIATING THE CAR:
- Maximum of 3 members of the team are allowed to initiate their car.two minutes would be provided for the setup of your model. Once the car crosses the starting line,any type of contact with the car will lead to disqualification.
- If your car is initiated and not moving you can retouch the bot if you are within your limit of 2 minutes.
- You are also responsible for arranging the disposal of chemical wastes generated by your model.
30% weightage: Time the car takes to reach the destination.
• 20% weightage: For the description of the chemical reaction and power source mentioned in the abstract and how far it matches
with the real design will also be considered.
• 20% weightage: For the creativity of the design and its unique features (for its environment and safety features).
• 20 % weightage: To conformity with dimensions and economy (specifications of cost incurred for the chemicals and making the
• 10% weightage: To the overall quality of the design, along with the team's presentation.
The car finishing the desired track with the given payload, minimum time and satisfying the above criteria will be declared as
• The event will be conducted in two slots in the morning and afternoon and both the rounds will be taken simultaneously.